Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6/3/09 update

Melinda did not have a good night. The day nurse said her blood pressure was up last night and high this morning. The nurse gave Melinda several medicines to bring it down. Melinda was very exhausted and around 11:00 am she finally rested.

Physical therapy came in around 1:00 pm and got Melinda up on the side of the bed. Melinda was still very tired and not in to her therapy session. Melinda managed to do a few commands and Melinda had her elbow in the bed and she pulled herself up. The therapist noticed Melinda's vitals getting high and decided to put her back in bed and then the therapist asked if I wanted to hold Melinda and I said YES! I held Melinda and kissed her face all over and her vitals dropped to normal range. This was amazing and Melinda's therapist started crying. Melinda's vitals shot back up high when I stopped hugging on her. Melinda only sat up on the bed for 20 minutes and when they got her settled back in bed she slept for 2 hours. The therapy that Melinda does once a day is very exhausting but each day she gets a little stronger.

Dr Huff came in and lowered Melinda's pressure support to 10. Pressure support on the ventilator means it will help Melinda breath if she has any problems breathing at any time. Dr. Huff said he is pleased with Melinda's progress. Dr. Smith came by and said Melinda is doing fine and can't wait to get her to Jim Thorpe Rehab Center.

This afternoon I was touching Melinda's head and I told her I was going to kiss her and that she needed to pucker up. I bent down to kiss Melinda and she puckered up her lips. Melinda puckered up 3 times in a row. It was so amazing! I know these are little things but they are HUGE with Melinda's type of head injury and with every little thing she does is a step closer towards her recovery. Melinda's nurse witnessed it and she is documenting this in her chart.

This evening Melinda's blood pressure went really high at 210/121, heart rate 135 and she was doing 43 breaths per minute and very agitated. This was very scary and I just prayed to god to help Melinda calm down. The nurse gave Melinda her medicines and it took 45 minutes before her vitals were stable and my anxiety went down a lot. Melinda was resting peacefully tonight.

Please pray! pray! pray! for Melinda that she will have a peaceful and calm night and a good day.

5 comments:

  1. I know it is hard to watch when their pressure is that high. My son's got that high quite frequently and he had beads of sweat on his head so you know they are either in pain or something isn't right and as a mother you just want to make it all better. I know your heart must have felt so good to know that she knew you were comforting her by actually seeing her pressure go down while you held her. There's nothing like a mother's touch and love. You are doing an awesome job. I pray for your strength as well as her healing. It will seem like no time at all for her and a lifetime for you. Keep yourself well and rest in the Lord. You are so amazing to be by her side every day, but I know you couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word to remember 'POWER' GOD has given you so much 'POWER' sweetie. He has given you effectiness to heal. Take it slow Melinda, there's no hurry. We love you G&B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie-
    Thank you for taking and making the time to post to this site so we can stay updated on Melinda. It is really a huge thing for you to do this during what is the most painful time of your life. Melinda is always in my thoughts and prayers, and my church continues to ask and pray for her as well. I keep them updated and some of them even come here to the site to read and to pray. God is an awesome God and you are an awesome Mom, and thanks to the both of you, and all the medical staff, and Melinda herself, she is going to be okay and is getting closer to this with each passing day.
    love you all
    Treena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel,
    I know this is very hard and Im sure you are becoming aware of whast going on and getting very upset. Just hang in their girly. Everything will be better before we know it. You are such a strong girl, and I have so much faith in you. Everyone continues to ask about you constantly. Hang in there girl. I know you can make it through this with all the support you have behind you.

    I love you.
    Love your best friend, gossip buddy, and BACKBONE!

    Courtney Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melinda,
    There is no better friend than a sister;
    And there is no better sister than you.
    You are like a best friend I can't get rid of, but I know what whatever I do, you will always be there.
    I will always be here for you just as you would be there for me. I miss you and Alecia and I can't wait to see you both.
    I love you with all my heart,
    Leann, Bryan, and Britany
    Britany misses her Aunt Melinda...

    ReplyDelete