Sunday, June 7, 2009

6/6/09 late update

Sorry I could not update last night. I stayed at the hospital with Melinda.

Melinda had a good Friday night and a good morning on Saturday and her vitals were all good. Todd, sister Alecia and Mema came to visit and they were very excited to see big changes in Melinda. Melinda was very excited and was giving lots of kisses and moving lips like she was trying to talk. Melinda started to get tired so left her to rest. We came back to see Melinda and she looked a little agitated and she was breathing a little to fast. Melinda's regular medicines were given at 6:00 pm and she still was restless. Around 8:00 pm I knew something wasn't right and told the respiratory therapist that Melinda is breathing too hard and her oxygen is going down to 92. Melinda's oxygen has always been 95 - 100. The therapist told me she is fine and this is normal. I continued to watch Melinda struggle and cough and told my concerns to the therapist again. The charge nurse reassured me everything was fine. Mother's intuition but I knew something was wrong and this continued till 1:00 am. Melinda kept coughing and coughing and she was breathing high 30's and 40's per minute and her oxygen continued to drop. The nurse suctioned out a mucus plug out of her chest and thought this would take care of her oxygen. Melinda's oxygen level dropped to 81 and she was breathing 55 struggling horribly and the charge nurse gave her 2 doses of pain medicine and this did not help her. It was very intense and nothing they did helped Melinda. The charge nurse said she wanted to sedate Melinda to get her vitals under control and I agreed and said do it now. It took an hour but Melinda was finally resting. Melinda was put back on full ventilator and the oxygen on the vent which set normally at 40% was turned up to 100% to give her more oxygen to get it stable. The doctor was called and he ordered blood gases and a chest x-ray. The doctor came to assess Melinda and he ordered blood work and cultures. The doctor ordered no changes on the ventilator and keep her sedated until the results are in and by looking at the x-ray could be pneumonia. Will keep you updated.

Please pray!pray!pray! for Melinda and Jon to keep fighting.

2 comments:

  1. Christie, I'm going to keep praying for Melinda and I'm also praying for God to keep giving you wisdom and discernment. No one knows the people we love better than the caregiver so stand firm and strong. Blood gases are so important when they are trying to wean off the vent. Dennis would start talking crazy and we knew something was wrong and it was usually the blood gas. Keep on them !!! Your cousin, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sissy, you hang in there. I love you so much and I know that you are getting better. You will get worse before you get better. It's just the way it goes, but I am hanging onto my Faith. I know that everything will be just fine. We miss you
    Your best Sissy Leann, Britany, and Bryan

    ReplyDelete