Sunday, May 24, 2009

5/24/09 update

Melinda had a really good morning and her vitals are all stable. The nurse says she is really active this morning and Melinda has some response in her right eye. This is great news! Around 9:30 this morning grandma noticed that Melinda pulled her ventilator hose off her trachea and she quickly got a nurse to put it back on. Melinda's grandma was very relieved the nurse acted quickly. The nurse says Melinda is pulling at her ventilator hoses a lot and around her trachea. Melinda's nurse placed a pillow on her chest so she would not pull at the vent hoses.

We realize Melinda is still very weak and tires easily and the nurses say she needs 30 minutes of stimulation and then 2 hours of sleep throughout the day and night. When Melinda gets over stimulated she gets very agitated and her blood pressure and heart rate goes up. The more Melinda rest her body the more she will heal.

Melinda is doing well with breathing on her own. The ventilator is set on pressure support to help Melinda if she struggles to breath at any time. Melinda is being weaned off of the ventilator and the pressure support is set at 15 today. The nurse told us when the pressure support gets to 5 and Melinda does not have any problems breathing on her own they will take her off the ventilator.

Melinda seemed to have her eyes open more today. Melinda continued to track voices and movements and seemed more alert. The nurse says the medicine to wake her up seems to be working and Melinda is alot active than last week.

10:00 p.m.
Melinda's blood pressure got really high and the doctor was called and he ordered medicine to bring it down.

Melinda continues to improve every day. Thank you for all your love and support and please continue to pray for Melinda. God Bless.

5 comments:

  1. Melinda, I am so glad I got to spend time with you. I just wanted to crawl in bed with you, put my arm around you, and fall aleep with you. I know you would have liked that too. I know I didn't want to leave you, but I am just happy that we could spend some special moments together. It might not have been the best place to spend time with you at, but it's better than not spending time with you at all. Melinda, I love you so much. I hope you know that I can't stop thinking about you for anything. I will see you again real soon. Hugs and Kisses
    Your older sister Leann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, I am hoping and praying that each day finds you improving. You are a sweet girl and I am hoping the best for you. I'll never forget you running across the lot behind me, BAREFOOTED to rescue 'Tiny'. I know there had to be stickers or sand burs on that lot, but you didn't care.

    Take care and do all you can to help your self doing therapy. The more you work at it, the sooner you will be home. It is wonderful that your family can be there with you to help you as much as they can. Velvet came over to my porch last night. She wanted to be petted. I know she misses all of you.

    Love,
    Ruth M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda, I am glad to hear that you are doing much better and that you are improving day in and day out. We can't wait to have you back with us next year we all miss all of the laughs that we shared and wished that we could have shared prom night together..We were all very torn and upset when we found out what had happened.
    I pray for quick recovery and that you will be able to join your class back at School in August.
    Your friend,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although we are apart We can feelyour heart as we place our hands on our hearts and"All is smiling" and hope your heart can feel it too. Greg & Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is not a second that passes that I do not think about you, Melinda. I just want you to be home again. I love you, Melinda and I miss you. I just want my sister and I just can't handle sitting here crying alone without your shoulder to cry on. I need you.
    Older sister Leann

    ReplyDelete