Wednesday, May 6, 2009

UPDATE

5/6/09

Melinda had a quiet morning. Melinda continues to have her respiratory treatments every 4 hours. Melinda had an ultrasound on her arms, legs and chest to see if any blood clots had formed. This is common in anyone that is immobile for a long period of time. The results came back negative. Praise the Lord! Fluid was drained from Melinda's brain yesterday and sent off to see if there was an infection. The results came back today and was negative. Melinda is improving every day. Melinda spiked a fever today but was given lortab to bring it down. Melinda continues to move her arms and opens her eyes for a longer period of time but is still heavily medicated.

Melinda's nurse informed us that the neurosurgeons turned all her medicines off for 10 minutes and tried to get Melinda to respond to commands such as thumbs up and raise 2 fingers. Melinda made movements with her hand but could not distinguish her movements as following commands. The doctors advised us that they would need to wean Melinda off of her pain medicine to assess the level of her brain function.

The doctors stated that Melinda will have her ventilating tubes removed and replaced with a trachea and a feeding tube inserted in to her stomach on Friday. The doctors say this will be more comfortable and less infections for Melinda. We will know more on Friday if Melinda will have surgery on her pelvis.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. With the power of prayer Melinda is improving everyday.

5 comments:

  1. She is such a strong girl! I am so happy she is improving. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is very strong! Praise the Lord, He is giving her the strength to keep going. I love you, Melinda! Love Sister, Leann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep fightiing Melinda. I love you so much. I cant wait to see you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy she's gone this far this fast!
    I love you all very much and I can't wait to get back down there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sis, Just wanted to say that I have been praying for you everyday all day, I wish I could be right by your side, Your a beautiful and strong girl and your progression is for sure amazing, Eachday you are one step closer. I love you with all my heart and soul, Keep Fighting! We love you... Christie Todd and Alecia... My prayers are with you all as well, this has been extremely hard. You all have my number if theres anything at all you need.. I love you all, Give my sis a hug and kiss from us

    ReplyDelete