Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Update

5/20/09

Melinda had a really good night and her vitals are stable. Melinda looked really good this morning. Before we got to the hospital this morning physical therapy had already worked with Melinda. The nurse said she had moved her leg which is big. Since Melinda's accident she has not moved her legs at all. The doctors thought maybe there could be some paralysis but maybe it is due to her brain injury. We won't know until Melinda gets in to rehab.

We were told by occupational therapy that Melinda IS AWAKE. "Praise the Lord". Around 11:30 today Melinda had her beautiful eyes open and listening and watching me(mom) and aunt Stacey talk to her and Melinda smiled the biggest grin from ear to ear for 2-3 minutes for the very first time. Melinda's doctor was outside her door and witnessed it to.

Occupational therapy worked with Melinda and sat her up on her bed with her legs hanging over the edge. They are holding her up and Melinda's aunt is talking to her. Melinda's eyes are wide open and Melinda looked up to see her aunt. This is very very good. The occupational therapist will document that Melinda was tracking today. They put Melinda in a special chair that forms to her body to sit in. Melinda sat in it for over an hour. The occupational therapist says Melinda is a lot stronger today than yesterday. Melinda is having a busy day.

The doctor from the Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation says on friday they will try medicines to get Melinda to wake up even more.

Melinda is still being weened off the ventilator and is doing very well. Melinda is breathing on her own. The ventilator is set on pressure support which means the ventilator will help her if she has any trouble breathing.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers for Melinda. By the grace of god the power of prayer is healing our daughter every day. Amen.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for the big smile! I know that must feel so good. She's going to be 'waking up' more every day. It just takes a little time. With the therapy and getting her moving it will happen in no time.

    Your cousin,
    Jo Adell (Tom's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda,
    I came up to see you yesterday and it was the most wonderful day!! Your mom and I were laughing, as usual, and you had the biggest grin on your face! I know you were laughing right along with us. While the therapist was working with you today I was behind her talking to you and while doing so you were tracking my voice! You didn't do it once, you did it twice so this is a giant step in your progress. I know in my heart one day you will walk in front of my car again so that I can honk and scare you :) I will see that pretty smile as you are yelling at me that I scared you. You are getting stronger every day so you keep working! God is wonderful and we continue to pray for your progress. Peace Be With You

    I love you Melinda Diehl Pickle. See you soon.

    Aunt Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the Lord, he is working on a miracle right in front of all of us. These are such wonderful signs, I do believe she will
    be our miracle..

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! That is great news "Pickle" The bible says" If you abide in me and my words abide in you," Ask for whatever you wish and it will be done for you" Melinda Don't forget that GOD is the Rock of Ages and always near you WE all Love you UNK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melinda, I am speechless...
    I am SOOOOooooo HAPPY! You have no idea. I was looking forward to the phone call. I love you so much and I can't wait to see you. Hugs and Kisses. Britany and Bryan are excited to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melinda,
    This is by far the best news Ive had in what seems like ages. I am coming as soon as possible. I will be there very SOON. I got you a cd player and am going to get a cd made for you as soon as possible. Hopefully youll have some cool jams to listen to by Friday. Hnag in there Moe! I love you. Best friend Gossip Buddy and BACKBONE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is so good to hear. Im glad you getting better. we all love you. Stella and girls, trudy and Tomi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in awe of you, Melinda, and of God. When we hear not-so-good news, I immediately pray and refuse to accept the not-so-good news. God is healing you and working through your body, mind, and spirit, each and every second. You are a miracle, our miracle.... Thank you Melinda, for being so strong. You will someday walk this world again, and may you shine so brightly for God for all the days of your life.

    Love you
    Treena

    ReplyDelete